Monday, June 13, 2011

The Great Couch Hunt

I'm on the hunt for the perfect couch.

We recently came upon a chunk of money, an inheritance of sorts, and among the many things that we are thinking about investing in, to improve our home, a new set of seats.  The couches we have are about 6 years old and it shows.  I tried my best to keep them clean and in good repair, I really did, but two children and 6 animals, various house guests and one mishap with a pair of scissors has left them, well, used.  Plus the Endurosuede probably wasn't a great choice in upholstery, as the slightest amount of moisture results in a spot, like a pit stain, that doesn't come off unless you scrub the entire cushion and vacuum up all the water.  I invested in a small appliance "spot lifter" but I must have had too many spots, because that didn't last long. So the quest for new furniture begins.

The Hubby wants a sectional.  I didn't agree at first, but his sister got a really cool sectional (well honestly it is butt ugly) that has all kinds of hidey holes and cup holders and reclines, and maybe I am getting old, but the idea is growing on me. 

Of course I do have certain stipulations.  First, it can't be leather or any kind of leather-like material.  I am a sweaty beast and I don't like the way it feels when it gets stuck to your skin.  And the Endurosuede is out too, for reasons mentioned above.  Some kind of fabric, a chenille or corduroy even tweed would be nice and if it is a darker color or mottled pattern, it wouldn't require regular scrubbing like our current situation.  Recliners and cup holders have also become a requirement, but they are a little more optional.

Requirements:
  • Fabric Upholstery
    • preferably dark brown or grey
  • Squishy, comfortable to sleep on
  • Easy to clean
    • doesn't require a scrubbing every day
  • Durable material that can stand up to the child/animal elements
  • Fits with my current coffee and end tables
  • Recliners, Cup holders and hidey holes a plus

So we went to every furniture store in town and checked them all out.  There are some really good deals around, but nothing that's SPECTACULAR and none of the couches we have looked at really want to come home with us.  Its getting frustrating.  There are some serious contenders, but they all have their drawbacks.  The first runner up is this one:


The eldest and the Hubby liked this one the best.  It is actually some kind of microfiber that looks like worn leather, and the chaise has a motorized reclining mechanism that lays it down to almost a bed.  The recliners are motorized and they vibrate.  There are also little super-spy gadgets like reading lights in the head rests and slide out cup holders.  Plus, they will give you a TV!  (That was the selling point for the hubby)   I have my apprehensions though.  First off, the material, I asked if it came in other upholstery, no.  I am sure that all of the gadgets would be really awesome at first, but they are likely to go out, with little to no hope of repair or replacement.  It is kind of small, and wouldn't fill the living room up right, and our current coffee table, which there is nothing wrong with at all is too big.  Plus I have a problem with buying a $3000 couch just to get a TV.  That doesn't seem right.

Second Runner Up:

This one is bad ass, and fits almost all the requirements, except the color.  And once again, the damn thing doesn't come in anything else!  They have a very similar one in Chocolate leather, but that is leather, goes against policy.  Other than that, there is no problems with this one.  If I could find this in brown corduroy, I would drop the wad on it right now. Grrr....

I just don't know, I can't think about this very long without getting a headache, and in all actuality, I probably can get a couple more years out of our current seating situation.  It's fun to fantasize a little, but when it comes down to it, a decision is required, and I don't handle those too well.  I once burst into tears when a waitress asked for my order.  Granted I was pregnant at the time, but it shows how I feel about making decisions...


1 comment:

  1. NaNa here (posting under anonymous but not knowing why): A new couch!? You're getting a new couch?! How fun! You gave the hubby's and older son's opinions ... what about Mr. B? Does he have any preferences? Your old couch is pretty comfortable for sleeping. And what about the fuzzy brown thing? Are you keeping it too?

    ReplyDelete